Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Nothing like going "Old School"

Been working on running a table top RPG for my friends. Over the last few months a friend has been running a Twilight 2013 mercenary game. Before you ask, no it doesn't involve vampires or werewolves. This has gotten me into the mood to run a game myself.

So I decided that a space setting is what I wanted to run. Being a fan of Firefly, Babylon 5 and Cowboy Bebop, I'm modeling my universe with elements of each. I decided to use the GURPS rule set from Steve Jackson Games. I know GURPS best and it runs rather smoothly. I picked up a few more of the 4th edition books and have been wracking my brains about what mankind is like in this time frame.

Well I won't bore you with details as I really have little to write about. But talking to my players, my first hurdle was to overcome the idea that they would just buy insanely stupid levels of wealth and have armies and fleets at their beck and call. Were talking 3 billion credits with a 600 million credit monthly income. This was going to totally screw the game up and would put way too much strain on me as a GM. So I muddled back and forth for 2-3 days trying to figure out what restrictions I would put on the use of wealth. After typing up a rather long email to the players outlining what they could do with their wealth, I trashed the email and wrote one stating that I'm limiting how many points they could put into wealth. This makes things much easier.

I'll try and update the adventures here. Should be fun to chronicle their misadventures in space.

As always keep safe and watch your six.

No comments: